Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Wedding, White Pine and a fish tale

The end of Summer 2008 was pretty laid back with not much going on other than work and such, but things got a bit crazy and exciting when my family’s traditional backpacking trip to White Pine fell on the same day as one of Ben’s best friends wedding. Determined to do both we woke up early, got all gussied up for the wedding and I ran to the store to grab last minute backpacking essentials while Ben finished packing up what we already had for the backpacking trip, but not before Ben taking these somewhat random pictures in his favorite “fancy outfit” of mine as he called it. I was cool with the first picture, but had no idea he was going keep on snapping them…but with what little pictures I have of us then, I’ll take what I can get!
jeff and krystal's wedding
It was Jeff and Krystal Hortin’s wedding and was at the Bountiful Temple-same as mine and Ben’s, so it was fun to go back for a wedding there so soon after our own. I unfortunately have no pictures (even thought I actually DID think about it and want to), because we had to cruise if we wanted to make the 2 hour drive (for any of you who do not know where White Pine is it is a hike that starts at Tony’s Grove-which is about halfway through the Logan canyon on the way to Bear Lake) and make the 3 1/2 mile hike before it got dark. We rushed home, changed into our less formal backpacking attire, and we were on our way (a good 6 hours behind my family), but we eventually made it even if we had to race the sun as we hurried along the trail.
White Pine
I am not going to lie, I did not mind enjoying the hike up the mountain just Ben and I. This was his FIRST time there and I was so excited to show him one of the most beautiful and special places in my life. I loved telling him about the special memories I had there and making more with him. The hike went by much faster than I ever remember as we talked and laughed and giggled and just enjoyed being together out away from it all.
white pine 2
We arrived to camp just as the sun was setting and had to rush to get our tent and everything set up in the little light that was left in the day. It was fun talking and laughing and telling stories with my family that was there (it has usually just been me and the boys, but this time my sister Cami came too). My parents were also hosting one of their Japanese foreign exchange students (they have had, I think about 7 -some more than once-stay with them since I graduated High School and LOVE having them-one would think 10 children is enough, but my parents are just that amazing!). The best part of it all was getting to get away-literally-from it all and just have fun with Ben.

The next day was full of fun festivities including the traditional hike to the cave up in the cliffs surrounding the lake at white pine. Let me tell you it is BEAUTIFUL at White Pine!  For all my fellow Utahns, if you have never been, I HIGHLY recommend it! The hike to the cave is pretty difficult and steep, but the views once you get to the top are SO worth it!
white pine 3
Breakfast, the hike, the cave and the coolest part-Ben randomly turning into Iron Man inside the cave. Cool special effect between the reflective clothing and the flash of a camera, although Ben will still tell you he is the real deal.
white pine 4
Check out those views and I LOVED getting to share them with Ben for the first time! Can you find the trail we followed to get here and the man fishing at the lake?
white pine 5
After making the trip down we all played at the lake for a while. We even made a raft and went cruising around the lake, jumping/diving off of it and swimming and playing around in the water. We were too busy splashing and having fun to think about pictures-unfortunately-it was a COOL raft! My family left right after lunch, but Ben and I decided to stay to get in as much time as possible where we got there so late the day before.

Cami decided to stay with us. We hung out and lounged in the tent and snacked a bit and then headed back to the lake for some more water fun-my FAVORITE! We went to the other end of the lake this time, where tons of logs (big enough you could walk along them with no worry of even needing to balance) and began playing on them. There were SO many fish swimming around them that I did not want to get in (I might add here that I did have a big carp bite onto my big toe in Willard Bay while boating with friends in college-I may or may not have been wearing metallic turquoise nail polish-but needless to say, being bit by a fish once was enough adventure for even me), so instead we just stayed on the non-biting, huge tree that lay in the water and played there.

It wasn’t too long after first exploring on it that I found a fishing line with a hook at one end, complete with one of those fake metallic flies. I was just glad none of us had stepped on it, but Ben had the brilliant all-boy idea of playing with it. “Put it in the water.” he would tell me (I have never fished, other than at a fish farm, which does not count) and I did not want to for fear a fish would get it and the thick line would cut my hand or something (pathetic, I know). Ben kept reassuring me that a fish probably would not grab on and was determined to prove it to me. He put it down in the water for about 2 seconds and said, “see.” and began pulling it back up. Just as he did we saw a fish from the other side of the log swim under it and grab it! So much for Ben’s theory. Cami, Ben and I just stood there completely shocked. We immediately tried to free it (since we had not meant to and were not licensed and such) but the hook would not come out! I was freaking out about the poor thing being in pain so Ben decided we should probably just kill it and take it home with us. So we did just that. Quite the crazy story though-not bad for a first time illegal exciting fishing experience.
white pine 6
It was not too long after our “criminal” act-maybe I should not be telling you all about this…that we packed up camp and started the hike back to the car to go home. We made it to the car just as the sun was beginning to go down, but at least we got every minute in white pine that we could. It was definitely a fun, exciting and memorable trip! We always talked about wanting to go back soon and have yet to do so, so we may need to put it on our list for our summer activities this year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment