Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Our First BIG purchase

Being newlyweds and with me working in Brigham any 6-8 hours between 6 am and midnight and Ben working in Logan with a landscaping company all day, we REALLY needed 2 vehicles. It turned out Ben’s good friend, Spencer, was selling his bike for a good price (and you can’t beat the cost of gas with those things-$8 bucks to fill up and it lasted over a week) so we made our first big purchase as a married couple-we bought this bike! Enjoy the pictures we took to sell it (once again no fun memory pictures-we were too busy having fun on it to bother with them, I guess.)
Our Bike!
I LOVED this thing! (I have always loved motorcycles). My mother was a little less thrilled, and the fact that we got our bike around the same time my little brother Casey got his did not help that fact too much. I did share her same fear to a point. I still remember being VERY nervous every time Ben had to go to Logan and back through Sardine Canyon everyday. Ben, on the other hand-LOVED it! The only time he did not really care for it was in the fall when the weather was cooler freezing, especially since he had to leave at 6:00 a.m. to be there in time (you see, the bike maxed out at 85 mph and you know 250s are fun for cruisin’ through town but they lack a bit of umph on the bigger, faster roads).Trying to be a dutiful and loving wife, I would wake up and help him stuff things like socks and wash cloths up his coat sleeves to help with the wind chill. It was a pretty random and silly routine, but one I assure you (and Ben will back me up on this) was necessary.

I really had a lot of fun on that thing once I got the hang of it. Although it was a bit small for Ben is was PERFECT for me. It had been years since I had driven a motorcycle and so it made my first time driving through town on my own a bit…interesting. He will never let me live it down, but it is a pretty funny story so I guess I will just tell you before he does. Ben was following behind me in our car and I was stopped at a very busy (well for my hometown, anyway) intersection in Brigham City.  I was waiting next to a car full of what looked like high school boys and just as it was time to get up and go for the green light-I killed it-while of course, sporting my cute humiliating, hot pink, glittery helmet (it was the ONLY one that fit at the store and we needed one stat!). Stressed about not wanting to just sit there, looking stupid, during a green light, I quickly got it going again. It may have been a little too quickly because I ended up popping a wheelie in the process. Maybe that bike had some “umph” after all. I became very grateful for that silly helmet in that moment as it hid my face of sheer embarrassment, panic and horror! The boys in the car next to me just whistled and yelled at me with excitement-little did they know this was absolutely not an intentional trick. Meanwhile, Ben was laughing hysterically behind me.

Our favorite moments on the bike were cruising through town together. We loved getting all our gear on and heading out for a leisurely ride when our contrasting work schedules allowed us to. The occasional ice cream cone or burger and fries were always the icing on the cake! There is something very romantic about riding on the back of a bike while the love of your life drives and you get to sit there basking in the smell of his cologne that is whisked around you in the wind as you hold him tightly around the waist and get to enjoy the view-especially the sunsets! Needless to say it provided us with a cheap and fun hobby that very often became the main portion of our “date night” for the week.
Our Bike 2
Our little Honda Rebel 250 was our first baby, if you will. It was hard to sell it, but with moving to Colorado, we figured it was time to move on. We hope to get another bike-a bigger one sometime-sorry, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment