Sunday, February 10, 2013

Separate Ways

The romantic side of our relationship took a bit break of a break from fall 2004-summer 2007 with him working in Alaska and then moving on to serve a mission in the Michigan, Lansing mission and me moving forward with my senior year of high school and continuing on to major in MDT (Music, Dance, Theater) at Snow College. I was lucky to get a full ride with an academic scholarship and leadership scholarship for being the show choir president and things stayed interesting a fun with a VERY busy triple major-extra credits, 2 jobs, being the lead singer in a ska band, a lead in the Spring musical, president of 2 choirs and just being the perfectionist but social and fun-loving person I am. Ben and I kept in touch with occasional letter writing.

Ben loved his mission and I loved my 2 years at Snow! We both really grew and developed ourselves so much over those years. Here is a little peak into what our lives were like back then...first a couple disclaimers 1-This is a major picture post. 2-Please don't mind the poor quality photos. I had to scan them in. Enjoy!
Ben playing working in Alaska Summer 2004. 
Senior picture, 17th birthday, and Madrigal Retreat to Bear Lake
Guys and Dolls Spring 2005!
Bens mish MTC
MTC Provo, UT
Madrigals, Halloween fun, Christmas Concert and graduation
Cheboygan and on the shore of the Great Lakes
Summer 2005-Laurel Light Camp-Music Coordinator on Executive Staff and a fun old-fashioned (LOVED it) Relief Society Dinner.
Alpena
Mischief, Pranks and Exploring in Ephraim!
Jackson
Snow College 05-06 Western swing, Game night, Ska Band, Mexican food!
Alpena
Mame: played Vera Charles Spring Semester 2006
Cheboygan and Vicksburg
Snow 06-07  Masquerade Ball, 80's Institute Dance, Vegas Road Trip
More of Ben's mission-milestones, cool random tank and baptisms
Ascension Show Choir 
Benny's Mish
Vicksburg, Cadilac and Sturgis
Good food, good people, good times-AWESOME memories! Some of the best moments of my life with some of the best people EVER!
Baptisms and Bonfires
Ben got home just after I finished my last semester at Snow at the end of Spring 2007. It really caught me off guard when Ben called me to catch up. I will never forget how excited I was to get a voice mail from him. We talked and caught up a bit but it was a bit awkward since at the time I was dating someone else. We kind of left it at that for a bit and shortly after my relationship ended and I headed off to work at the Bar-T-5 Dinner show in Jackson Hole, Wyoming for the summer and Ben continued to get settled back into normal non-mission life again. We kept in touch over the phone from time to time.
Summer 2007 with Sarah Gwynn1st Dam and Bear Lake!
Jackson Hole Baby!   
skinny dipping swimming, dinner on the town, bike rides and gorgeous hikes in the Tetons by Jenny Lake.
Bar hopping (mormon girl-style-"lemonade, please!"), dancing, aunt, uncle and cousins in town on vacation and cliff diving (at 3 in the morning once-yes I am crazy, but I can't pass up a chance for a little adventure).

Las Vegas Road trip for auditions when I was involved with Craze Agency Fall 2007.

It was not too soon after I got back from Jackson Hole that Ben and I went on a date (our first since High School) in August. He took me ice-skating in Logan (one of our old traditions). I really enjoyed the date, but was a little frustrated and not sure where to take it since so much time had passed and we had both changed so much. We did not see one another much after the date for a couple months, that is until I called him one night after going through a horrible ordeal alongside a girl who has since become a very dear friend. It was awful and I won't go into detail, but it was enough that I was too disturbed to sleep or even feel okay. So I did the only thing that made sense...I called my Ben...at 3:00 in the morning and then sheepishly tried to play it cool once he answered. I ended up bawling opening up to him about all that had happened which also lead me to open up about my childhood hurt and pain (that is what had made the day so hard and gotten me involved in everything to begin with). Ben was a complete and total hero for me during that time. He talked to me until I fell asleep and then took me out the next day on a date to help get my mind off of things. We went black light miniature golfing at the Junction in Ogden. We grew much closer after that experience and began dating again although I was hesitant to "go steady".

 I continued dating several other guys only to call Ben at the end of each of them. On December 7th, everything changed, My last date (with anyone other than Ben that is) I got set up on a blind date (the guy's request upon apparently seeing a picture of me) by my good friends. That poor guy had to drive quite a ways to pick me up in Perry, take me down south for the date, bring me back and even had to get a hotel room in Brigham City because the Snow was so bad. It was at that moment that I realized I needed to just stick to the guy that I really had feelings for even if I was scared and I am happy to say that Ben and I have been "going steady" ever since! Up next: Going Steady and Getting engaged!

No comments:

Post a Comment