Friday, May 24, 2013

Ben Pursues His Accounting Degree

Getting our schooling completed was hard with being out of state, and not wanting to pay out of state tuition fees. We decided to wait until we moved back to Utah (but ended up staying a year instead of just for the summer, remember that adventure), but we became official residents of Colorado just a week before moving back to Utah. So, we decided to wait another year until we were official Utah residents once again. That time finally came and we began looking into different schools. A concern we really took into consideration was Ben’s work possibly taking him from state to state to state, so in an effort to avoid messy transfers and lost credits, we decided to go with the pricey, but “efficient” Stevens-Henager. Worst. Mistake. Ever. It is especially agonizing since we ended up staying in Utah anyway. Grrr….
Ben started school with Stevens-Henager mid-June 2010, and I cannot even begin to tell you the knot I get in my stomach even blogging about this experience. Ben was already working very long and hard days as the technician manager for EcoFirst Pest Control 6 days a week, and by the time he got home (late) the last thing I wanted was for him to have to work on school late into the night and often into the early morning hours, which sometimes turned into an all-nighter all together. It absolutely stunk and what it got us, and where we are now absolutely infuriates me to the very core! I try to be positive, but this is one thing I don’t know if I will ever be able to be fully positive about (although we are partly to blame for not reading every live of the contract and trusting the person “helping” us) it was a hard, excruciating lesson to learn. I do not have very Christ-like feelings towards this institution-at all-as hard as I try. Ben spent just over two years and got his associate's (which took 4 months longer than they originally claimed), just to find out that they are NOT accredited in the state of Utah as they have stated. Oh, and did you know they have been in the middle of the 6-month accreditation process for oh….15 years now! Impressive! (note my extreme sarcasm). Did I also mention that (although they promised he could become a CPA in Utah with his degree) he actually does not qualify to become a CPA in Utah with their program? I want to go back in time and give that counselor a big high five-right in the face! Ben worked really hard and received honors and impressive grades. So, here we are three years later, piled high with school debt for a degree, which let’s face it-gets us nowhere! Two years of hard work, time together greatly sacrifiiced and tens of thousands of dollars for NOTHING!!! It is stuff like this that keeps me awake at night  worried, frustrated and depressed. Really wishing we had read that 50 page contract right about now. Don’t you wish people could just be trustworthy?! Goodness! Ben is currently getting ready to start all over again this fall-oh the joys! I could just cry-and I have! I guess we should count our blessings though. We are definitely still very blessed and things are working out and after a long, hard struggle the past two years, I am going to try to focus on that. Sorry for this huge, ugly rant, although, I must admit it feels really good to finally vent all my feelings on the matter. I tell ya, between this blog and my music, I will never need a therapist, and that is a blessing right there. :)
It is really hard writing about the excitement of this time in our life-as we now deal with the devastating aftermath of is all-but at the time, we were actually very excited about it and I was, and still am VERY proud of my amazing husband (who by the way is handling this all much better than me {he usually does}, even though it has definitely affected him more-breaks my heart for all his hard work and good intention). So, I went all out and put together a little “back to school” package for my guy the week he started. 
ben school
ben school-1
ben school-2
ben school-4
Bored while Ben works on school…and then goofing off and distracting him. I think we will stick with his short, blonde hair though. ;)

ben school-3

Still SO proud of you and all your hard work babe! I am so blessed to get to call this hard-working stud my sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment