Thursday, March 14, 2013

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

Summer of 2009 was full of adventures and very memorable! I enjoyed the experiences I shared with Ben, but one of the biggest reasons it was such a good experience was largely thanks to the girls I befriended during our time there. All of our husbands worked the long and insane hours that come with the territory of summer sales. I don’t know what I would have done without these girls! We had so much fun together and took advantage of many of the fun things to do in Colorado.  So, Alyssa, Julie, Janae-this is for you and dedicated to all of our wonderful memories together.
I am getting very anxious to get this blog caught up and have decided to group some of our adventures in Denver during the Summer into one post. This post will include many of the fun experiences I shared with the “EcoSure Wives”-a name we came up with for ourselves. I want to cover our “normal” activities today. I am going to save our more unique adventures that are some of the “must do’s” and “must see’s” in the Mile High City.
First up? Shopping-of course! What is a girl’s day without it? Although the trips may have been a bit more lengthy than normally fits my fancy, goofing off with these girl’s made the time fly! I have never and many girlfriends, but I must saying being able to ask advice and get opinions while shopping has its advantages. Plus, I have mentioned the Malls in Colorado are gorgeous and there are many of them? I still REALLY miss the shopping experience there, but I think Ben appreciates that I shopped less once we moved back to Utah, even if most of the Denver shopping trips were just to window shop. I must say though that the new Cherry Creek Mall in Salt Lake has a very “Colorado Mall” feel to it…uh-oh Ben!
shopping
It was really fun how quickly we clicked together. It felt like we had known each other for years! We still try to get together every now and again, but are pretty spread apart and have children now, so unfortunately it does not happen as often as I would like. We really need to get together more often though. I miss them!
shopping 1
We loved shopping during the morning and early afternoon and then relaxing at home enjoying a good chick flick before the boys got home late in the evening.
shopping 7
shopping 8
With the long hours, we even handled the oil changes and other maintenance for our vehicles while out and about.
shopping 9
Alyssa and I ended up spending a LOT of time together that Summer and got to know each other really well. I LOVE this girl! We really missed Julie when she moved back to Utah mid-summer. We were quite the trio!
Here are some pictures of a couple of the mall’s courtesy of Google. I wish I had gotten some of my own, but these will do!
mall fi
mall fi 1
mall fi 3
Flat Irons in Broomfield, CO
mall pm
mall pm 1
Park Meadows Mall Littleton, CO
Our favorite activity (BY FAR) was lounging and swimming and playing at the pool in our complex. We spent many a day there and many hours. As proof? I , Danae, actually got tan! I know-shocker!
pool days
Laying out and soaking up some rays and then hitting the pool to cool off.
pool days 2
Goofing off and water aerobics…ya, we’ll call it that. Notice the maintenance guys in the hot tub? We had to wait forever for the hot tub to be ready!
pool days 3
Even on the chilly days, we could not help but hit the pool-even if it was freezing some days.
water world wives
Water World with Alyssa and Julie!
pool days 5
 
We were SO excited when the hot tub was finally fixed and up and running! We had waited a while to relax in it.
Okay, actually maybe the favorite activity for fun was the pool, but the real favorite-probably had to be going to the Denver Temple once or twice a month. It was a little ways away and with the hours our husbands worked, they were never able to go. So, we ladies set days aside (because it usually was an all-day thing) and did endowments together. I LOVED attending the temple, even if it was hard to go without Ben, it was still really nice to go with “the wives”.
Denver Temple
denver temple 1
The trip was never complete without grabbing a treat on the way home.
denver temple 5
denver temple 6
The Temple Grounds were so beautiful mid-summer! We took advantage of it and had a little photo shoot.
denver temple 4
denver temple 3
I especially loved all the flowers!
denver temple 2
It was such a fun Summer and I am so glad I went out of my comfort zone and got to know these awesome ladies!  It really made the adventure the BEST it could have been. It also really helped to have a group of good friend’s who understood being away from your hubby so much and living in limbo without all of your belongings. I did not always feel like I fit in with my Big Macs, fries, shakes, curves and considering I had hung out with mostly boys my entire life gave me a bit of a challenge. They were skinny and healthy and some days, it really seemed like they were perfect in a way I would never be able to compare to, but I think insecurities are just part of the territory when you are a woman.  I am so grateful for the friendship we all created and for the laughter we could always find together even on the tougher days. I can definitely say I became a fan of having girlfriends during this Summer. Honestly, it felt good to know I could, but even better to be accepted for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment