Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Home Sweet Home in the Mile High City

We arrived a few days before we could settle in to our apartment so we spent some time at my Aunt and Uncle’s house in Centennial. It was fun to spend some time with them since they were rarely able to visit us in Utah. We got to know them very well during our summer (that turned into a full year) and we loved every moment we got to spend with them. We lived with them on a few occasions while we were in limbo. They were a huge blessing and help with our many adventures and trials during that time. I am so grateful to them to this day for their love and hospitality. We LOVED Colorado! So much in fact, that at one point in time, we even planned on settling down and having a family there.
While staying with my family and before Ben started work we decided to explore a little bit. Our first stop was the Park Meadows Mall. It is a gorgeous mall and I even ended up working that fall at the Nordstrom’s there.  I always loved that mall. All the malls in Colorado are pretty cool. I really missed the fun shopping experience when we finally moved back to Utah.
den1
Park Meadows Mall

A few days later we were able to move the 45 minutes north to Westminster into our home for the Summer. We loved this apartment. It doubled as one of the team’s office. That had some BIG pluses such as having furniture (a big plus when you can only take what fits in your car), and paying only half the rent was probably the biggest plus. This arrangement sounded much better than it actually ended up being and had some unforeseen BIG downsides as well, like it not really being our own space, cleaning the toilet 8 plus guys used, finding molding sandwiches under the couch and dealing with the late night “meetings” where the guys were super loud and often times would knock on our bedroom door at late night hours wanting us to get something for them, but all in all the 50% discount was nice and we survived. I stayed as positive, calm, collected and classy as I could, but once in a while that ambition of mine failed, and some not-so-nice notes were left for the sales reps on the team’s white board.
ap1
ap2
ap 3
ap 5
ap11
ap 9
 
ap 6
We also had the pleasure of having the handicap unit so we did not have many of the drawers that are usually present in the bathroom and kitchen-kind of a pain, but we improvised and with the little stuff we brought with us, it worked out.
Yes, decorations are so important to me I sacrificed space for them in the car. I could never call a place “home” without them. We actually moved from place to place several times while in Colorado. Between this apartment, my Aunt and Uncles, and house sitting, it was quite the set of adventures! I am so glad we did not have children back then. I still remember telling Ben how I could not wait for our life to settle down to the point where we could stay in one place for more than just a few weeks or months. Now, I get bored staying in one place for too long, but in my defense I warned Ben I probably would when things finally settled. Life is just funny like that, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment