Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sister Adventures: 2 weeks, 2 different states

cami perry 1
While enjoying a summer day out and about with Alyssa back in 2009, I got a random voicemail from a guy I used to babysit for asking me if I would be willing to fly back to Utah and babysit his 4 children with my sister Cami, while he and his wife were away on a business trip. It sounded like a great opportunity and I was very flattered. A free plane ride home, seeing my family, about a week with my sis, watching 4 adorable children, and the chance to earn some extra money sounded amazing to me! I did not have long to decide since they needed me to take the flight early to get to Utah first thing in the morning the very next day, but I talked it over with Ben, packed my bags, slept for a couple of hours and Ben drove to the airport to catch a very early flight. I was a little out of it on the flight there with it all happening so fast (less than 12 hours from getting the voicemail to the time of my flight) and I also had not been on a plane for 6 years, and this would only be my 3rd airplane trip (REALLY hoping to travel more one day-it is probably on of my BIGGEST passions and dreams in life-next to becoming a famous singer, of course). I was SO nervous to fly alone for the first time in my life (I get anxiety over silly things sometimes), but it worked out. Thank goodness! Even if several people did keep asking me if I was okay during the flight. I must have looked really out of it. I know I felt that way. Let’s blame it on the short notice, no sleep, early flight ( I am no morning person), and first time flying alone, shall we?
 
When I was picked up from the airport, I still remember how nice it felt to be home for a little bit. The babysitting was great! The children were so much fun! I LOVE these kids! This was my first time meeting the baby, Cayson (who was adorable-wouldn’t you agree?), and although it made for some long days and sleepless nights, it was kind of fun playing Mom and getting a better feel for the role. Growing up as the oldest of 10 children gives you a lot of experience, but with children, there is always room for more! It was really fun tag teaming as their babysitters with Cami, but I really missed Ben, like A LOT! Good thing I had my amazing sister, adorable children and an occasional visit from my Mom and the rest of my family to keep me preoccupied.
cami perry
Seriously, aren’t these kids adorable? And you would not believe how sweet and fun and well behaved they are. Meet Carter, Taylor, Cayson, Celeste and Chassie the Chihuahua.
cami perry 2
cami perry 4
cami perry 3
After saying goodbye to the kids-which was a little hard after so much time together, Cami and I spent the night at my parent’s. We had fun doing makeovers and all sorts of girly stuff while having a sleepover, before our flight together in the morning! That’s right, last minute Cami decided to exchange her babysitting money for a round trip ticket to Colorado! I was SO excited to show her around Colorado and get the honor of taking her on her first plane ride ever! If you can’t tell, I was pretty excited! First plane ride: check! First plane ride alone: check! Assisting someone on their first ride: check! I’d say I was moving up in airplane experience!
cami perry 5
cami perry 6 
We got to the airport thinking we were late and missing our flight, but it ended up being delayed by 2 hours and so we grabbed some snacks as a fix to our munchies, walked around, and then spent the remainder of the time taking silly photos (a ton-I spared you and only shared a very select few) trying to pass the time. I will never forget the excitement that spread across Cami’s face when they announced it was time to start boarding the plane for our flight. It was so neat getting to be there with her and share it with her.
cami perry 7
Just before take off, it was stormy outside and I still remember Cami saying “This is the perfect weather for my first flight!” thick with that famous Ahlstrom sarcastic humor. That storm made for one bumpy ride to Colorado and since I had given her the window seat (a must your first time, right?) I got really a bit sick and claustrophobic. Cami handled it all like a champ and luckily it is only an hour flight after all-thank goodness for that!
cami denver 1
We spent our time in Colorado together out grabbing junk food, buying more junk food to take home with us to accompany our chick flicks, goofing off, taking pictures, having deep philosophical conversations about life, shopping, grabbing Jamba Juice, laying out by the pool, playing in the pool, visiting cousins, having a blast together at Water World and chilling at the lake. It was such a fun few days and all went by much too fast. Before we knew it, I was dropping her off at the airport for her first plane ride by herself. Her plane travels have come a long way since then. She just got home from Ecuador today. She spent the past 5 months volunteering in an orphanage, and is now spending a couple months back home in Utah, before leaving to serve a mission to Oregon. I am so very proud of the person she is and all she has and will accomplish. She is without a doubt incredible, sweet and absolutely amazing. We have had our ups and downs over the years, (as sisters and best friends often do) but I am so grateful for all we have together and all we have gotten through together and I love her so very, very much! After all, I strongly believe it is not where you have been in life, but what you have become that is important with any situation or relationship. Thanks for being such a good example to me of living life to the fullest, being compassionate, and for carrying with you such an amazing light and testimony of Christ and the Gospel. I love you, Cami!
cami denver 2
cami denver
cami denver 3
cami denver 5
cami denver 6
cami denver 7
cami denver 8
cami denver 9
cami denver 11

No comments:

Post a Comment