Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Settling into the “whole married life thing”

It was still is so crazy to think that I am sharing a life, a house, and well everything with Benjamin Ostler as his wife! There were several of our friends back in high school who always told us we would end up married one day and we would always just laugh thinking they were crazy-especially when we were still in the “friend zone” and more like brother and sister. Needless to say, you guys were right and I could not be more happy that you were! I still remember finally feeling that married life was finally normal right about 4 months after our wedding.
Random
Ben likes to take pictures of me while I am getting ready for our dates. I might as well admit now that I NEVER get ready in the bathroom (all my past roomies can attest to that fact). I much prefer the bed, sitting in front of the door mirror, the couch while enjoying a show, and occasionally the car (when I am running late or super lazy). I don’t know why other than I feel like I am missing out if I am in the bathroom away from everyone else and besides that it is just too normal, you know? The picture on the right is me just before I was about to leave him for a weekend with the girl’s for the time out for women program in Logan. I felt really bad because it was our 4-month wedding anniversary. Trust me those monthly anniversaries were a BIG deal that first year, and we celebrated every. single. one. Any excuse for a party is justifiable in my book! We made up with dinner and a movie when I got back.
P.S.-don’t mind all of our terrible mismatched furniture. We only spent $210 on furniture when we first got married $10 for our entertainment center, $5 for our miss-matched night stands, $5 on 2 chairs to go with the table Ben’s friend, Jeff,  gave us (all complimentary of the local D.I.-local thrift store for those of you who may not know), $15 on bar stools from Wal-Mart, the only new thing we purchased new? Our mattress and box springs (I would not ever settle for used for these) was $130 and $20 for the new bed set, we did not get a bed frame because I wanted to wait until we could buy an entire bedroom set (we are still waiting, but my amazing friend Heidi did give us a super cute bed frame they were not in need of last year), the desk behind me in the picture to the right came complementary with the super cheap apartment as well as the oh-so-hideous curtains you have probably noticed in past posts and will see in future posts, our grill we got as a wedding present from my Dad’s work stayed in its box and served as our coffee table for a year (put a pretty table cloth over it, with a cute plant in top and it worked perfectly-just don’t stub your toe-OUCH!), the one piece of furniture I was in love with? The gorgeous Victorian sofa that was given to us by one of my Dad’s co-workers. I LOVE IT!!! Although our apartment definitely was not have decorated up to modern style or my personal taste (please believe me on that) it was perfect for a humble, little, just married couple’s apartment, and I was proud of it. We are still slowly building into picking out and buying our own things new, but feel very blessed for the deals we have found at the local D.I. and those who have so generously donated stuff to us! Wow, that was a long p.s.!
random 2
More candid shots-courtesy of Ben-as I played on Facebook and me falling asleep while eating. Let me tell ya-married life is exhausting! That or mine and Ben’s very physically draining full time job at a wood shop, I am leaning towards the latter. I was not getting very many hours at Kent’s and the hours I did get were very opposite Ben’s hours landscaping in Logan, so when one of his old bosses offered us both a full-time, decent paying position in Brigham, we jumped on it!  It had its downsides guy clothes all day, no make up, often working completely isolated (I am VERY social), heavy lifting, sharp scary blades and machines, getting home very dirty and very tired each day, but the perks? I got a dollar raise after my first week (they said they were surprised how hard I was willing to work and how efficient I was it felt good to know I could keep up with the strong boys), our bosses were incredible-we still miss working for them, some days the whole comfy clothes and not having to get ready thing was worth it,but getting to work with Ben and the same hours was the BIGGEST plus!!! We led a very simple life back then, but it was a very good one!
Fall of 2008 was good-so good in fact we were often too busy having fun to bother with pictures. We enjoyed Peach Days (a long celebrated tradition in our home town of Brigham City early September), Peach City’s amazing burgers, fries and ice cream, rides on our bike, cuddling up on our couch in OUR home to enjoy a movie, baking goodies together, going to our park and dancing under the stars while playing songs on our i-pods, socializing with childhood friends and having them for dinner in OUR apartment, and going to the movies-A LOT-we are a little obsessed and with a cheap and local theater 2 minutes away, who could blame us? We had so much fun together those first few months as Mr. and Mrs. Ostler and the memories only grow fonder as we continue our adventures on this journey of life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment