Monday, July 15, 2013

Family Christmas Time Parties and Traditions:The New and the Old

I LOVE the traditions that my family has at Christmas time. Our little family even began some traditions of our own, such as a Christmas Party with my Grandma and Grandpa Durfee (which I hope to continue), a party at Ben’s brother Matt’s house, and a party with Ben’s family. Even the older traditions, like the Ahlstrom family party and my Grandma Ahlstrom’s on the 23rd of December, felt like an all new experience with our little Jayden now being a part of it all. I love the Ahlstrom Party, even if it is now hard without my Grandfather who died in January of 2007 on my Mom’s birthday, but I like to think he is there is spirit. Another tradition I loved growing up was going to the nursing home on Christmas Eve, and providing a musical program that ended with my family reenacting the nativity story. This usually worked out well since we almost always had a new baby to play the role of baby Jesus. We were lucky enough this year to be a part of it all, and our own little Jayden played the role of sweet baby Jesus. It was such a neat experience to share such a beloved childhood memory with my own child. Afterwards we went back to my parent’s for hot cocoa and to open presents. We were fortunate to also spend time with Ben’s family earlier that day. It was a wonderful four days. Stay tuned, becasue Christmas Day with our family of three will be posted about next!
holidays2011-39
holidays2011-40
Jayden got pretty pumped about the present opening part of the party, or maybe it was just being on Grandpa’s lap. Your guess is as good as mine! After opening presents, we made dinner for Grandma and Grandpa. Our baked pasta and homemade breadsticks are a pretty big hit with those we share it with.
holidays2011-41
holidays2011-42
holidays2011-43
holidays2011-44
holidays2011-45
Jayden even got to meet my cousin Kendra, even if he was a little fussy.
holidays2011-46
holidays2011-49
Presents at Ben’s parents
holidays2011-70
Ben and I have a tradition of giving our siblings that still live at home a movie and a can of popcorn (you know the incredible tins filled with cheese, butter and toffee they have at Christmas time?), they all seem to really love it!
holidays2011-71
Little Derek’s adorable solos were the highlight of the evening at the nursing home. He was so cute and such a tough act to follow.
holidays2011-72
holidays2011-75
holidays2011-73
holidays2011-76
holidays2011-77
holidays2011-78
I just LOVE Christmas Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment